Wednesday, July 23, 2008

New Zealand Rocks!

This is Mt. Maunganui. We hiked to the very top of this in the rain and wind. I learned a new saying, "Rattle your dags". LOL Ask me about this when you see me. The Maori tribes built a village at the very top and ate over 250 clams per day and threw them over the side so the trail is covered with shells. It is absolutely gorgeous here looking out on the Bay of Plenty! This view is from my home stay house!
This is the home of Roel and Yuka. What a house for New Zealand. We were very fortunate to stay here for a couple of days. It is soo humid that Yuka squigies her windows every morning. It was cold here because it is winter. They have a wood fireplace but only in the living room and kitchen and not in the bedrooms. I brought my long johns for this! I was prepared!
Roel is a landscaper and this is their yard. This only shows one portion of it. On their property they grow golden kiwi, limes, lemons, tangerines, alvacados, all spices, and much more. The fruit here is incredible! I will never taste anything like it again (unless I go back).
This is Roel and Yuka outside their home at sunrise. Roel is very tall. They have immigrated from Holland but have lived here for many years and built their own home. They were wonderful hosts!
Here I am in Rotarua. This place reminds me of Yellowstone National Park as there are geysers and hot ponds and pots all over the place. We got to ride the luge on little cars down the mountain several times. This was great as I love speed. I hid my P2P tag and took the advanced road down. What a blast, right up my alley. In New Zealand I also got to participate in a Ropes course called "Full On". I was so proud of myself for climbing the wires and getting across without falling. I feel as if I can do anything I set my mind to at this point. It was a great motivator!

0 comments: